The Emily Guthrie Smith Award, affectionately referred to as "The BIRD", competition has been held each year since 1964 between the
Dallas Camera Club and Fort Worth Camera Club.
The BIRD is a perpetual trophy that has each year's winner's name
engraved on it. The competition is held in October and rotated between
the clubs each year. In addition to staging the competition, the host
usually provides a light buffet. This is a great opportunity to meet our
Each club submits 20 color or monochrome prints and 20 projected
images to be judged real-time at the meeting by a panel of judges. The
club with the most points wins and will get to keep the trophy,
affectionately known as "The BIRD" for the next year.
The following are the mutually agreed upon guidelines for the
- The location of the competition will alternate between clubs
each year and will be held in October.
- The host club sets the date and time approximately two months
prior to the event and notifies the visiting club.
- The host club will provide facilities, necessary scoring and
presentation equipment, score sheets and three judges for the
- Directions to the meeting (competition) site are given on the
host's website or will be provided.
- The prior year's winner will bring the Bird trophy to the
competition with the engraving updated.
Preparation, delivery and presentation of images
- Each club will submit 20 prints (monochrome or color) and 20
digital projected images.
- No more than one print and one projected image may be entered
by a single maker.
- No image may have been entered in prior D/FW Interclub
- The host club's regular intraclub competition rules for size,
preparation and presentation of images, as found on its website, will
govern except that prints may conform to either club's regular print
- Labeling images
Lists, for both prints and projected images, with maker's
names, image titles and presentation order will be provided to the host
club prior to the meeting.
Delivery of images
- Each print will be labeled on the back in the upper left
corner identifying the club, order to be shown, maker and image title,
e.g. FWCC3, My Name, Image Title.
- Each projected image's file name will include the club,
order to be shown, maker and image title, e.g. DCC7_My Name_Image
The host club's images will be randomly interspersed with the
visiting club's entries maintaining the desired presentation order of
The host club will make up score sheets with all images listed
in the order to be shown. At least four copies will be provided to the
- The visiting club will bring their prints to the
- The visiting club's projected images will be provided to the
host club several days prior to the meeting.
Judging and awards
- The competition will be judged real-time. The host club will
provide three judges who are not current or recent members of the
- Images will be introduced by title as they are presented to
- The scores of each judge will be added together to determine
the final score of each image. Judges may re-score images at their
discretion prior to the end the competition.
- The host club will provide the scoring system. Each club will
provide one official scorekeeper. The club with the highest combined
score for prints and projected images will be the winner of The Bird
for the year.
- The judges will select 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Honorable Mention
winners for both prints and projected images. The host club will provide
awards for all winners.
History of Bragging Rights
|2112 Ft. Worth
||1999 Ft. Worth
||1987 Ft. Worth
||1975 no record
|2011 Ft. Worth
||1974 Ft. Worth
|2010 Ft. Worth
||1997 Ft. Worth
||1985 Ft. Worth
|2009 Ft. Worth
||1984 Ft. Worth
||1972 Ft. Worth
|2008 Ft. Worth
||1995 Ft. Worth
||1983 Ft. Worth
|2007 Ft. Worth
||1994 Ft. Worth
||1982 Ft. Worth
||1970 Ft. Worth
||1993 Ft. Worth
||1969 Ft. Worth
||1992 Ft. Worth
|2004 Ft. Worth
||1991 Ft. Worth
|2003 Ft. Worth
||1977 Ft. Worth
|2001 Ft. Worth
||1964 Ft. Worth